Our location is in the picturesque Cambridge countryside in the Waikato region… we are only a short 2 hours drive from Auckland and Rotorua is only an hour drive away. The Waikato region has much to offer for visitors. Below are a few of our favourite places to see:
- Visit the Hobbiton Movie Set (Matamata) is less than 30 minutes drive from our hotel. Take the tour, join for dinner, or arrive in style by helicopter. Private tours are also available.
- In our rural town of Cambridge you can visit the local farmer’s market, visit a Waikato Thoroughbred Horse Stud Tour, take a dairy farm tour, a sheep tour with the cutest sheep in the world, alpaca tour or visit an orchard to find out where the best fresh produce comes from.
- Visit the internationally renowned rowing course and regatta facilities at Lake Karapiro. Every year it showcases a variety of sporting and cultural events and has been the stage for a number of memorable international sporting occasions.
- Waitomo Caves is a must visit in New Zealand. Less than an hour from the hotel you can see the stunning cave systems with glowworms. There are a variety of tours available from the passive to the very adventurous.
- Take a scenic drive to coastal town Raglan (60 minutes drive), for a relaxing beach day, or visiting art galleries, surfing, kayaking, SUP and souvenir shopping, or visit the stunning Bridal Veil Falls.
- For an off the beaten path experience, drive to Kawhia (80 minutes drive) and explore Waikato’s hot water beach with black sand. One of NZ’s best kept secrets. At low tide, find your spot and start digging for an instant natural hot water spa, with stunning views to match. Finish your day with fish & chips on the beach!
- Head to Hamilton (30 minutes drive) to visit the Hamilton Gardens, with 54 hectares of gardens based on the banks of the Waikato River, there is plenty to see. Stop by Zealong, New Zealand’s only tea plantation for a tea tasting. Hamilton is a metropolitan city with great restaurants, cafes, indoor entertainment and casino and shopping. It is also home to the Waikato Museum and various art galleries.
- Starting from Hamilton float in a hot air balloon above the Waikato countryside with the Kiwi Balloon Company followed by a champagne breakfast.
- Take a guided tour through Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari, a mainland ecological island and wildlife sanctuary that is just on our doorstep. There is also an option to be a part of releasing kiwis back in to the wild program.
- Go for a bike ride, with the national cycle way running right in front of our property! We even have complimentary bikes available for our guests. Or visit the Avantidrome in Cambridge where New Zealand’s sporting champions train, and if you feel brave there is an option to try the track!
See below images for Waikato attractions within 90 minutes drive of Henley Hotel: